Christmas and Thanksgiving aside, one of our FAVORITE times of the year during one of our FAVORITE seasons, is Mother’s Day. The potential to wax poetic about all our mother’s have done and continue to do is vast, but in THE PARTYSMITH spirit, we’re inclined to share with you a look at our moms and share a few snippets on the entertaining lessons we could only have learned from ours truly - cheers!
Carol - Ann // Tiffany’s mom
“Always, always send a handwritten thank you note. If someone takes the time to gift you, you must take the time to thank them.”
“There’s an art to gifting party favors, it’s called listening. It makes for a much more thoughtful gift chock full of deeper sentiment.”
“NEVER WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE to do anything. EVER.”
Essie // Jennifer’s Mom
Jennifer’s mother taught her the value of writing a list and the high of crossing tasks off a list. So in her honor, here is a list of a few of her party planning pearls of wisdom:
1) Don’t forget the list - Double check the list - Do you have the list?
2) Start getting ready EARLY! You never want to be applying liquid eyeliner under the pressure of the clock. Direct quote, “Get going…”
3) Everyone should leave with left-overs. They can relive the party the next day in their pjs.
The PARTYSMITH is just two daughters who have two amazing mothers…
As most of you know, there are two creative brains behind THE PARTYSMITH and as such, we bring dual, yet likeminded sensibilities to our work. To best illustrate our personalities to those unfamiliar, we often revert to the soundbite (typically said in unison), “We’re the same person, but NOT.” Important to remember, the “not” is truly what makes our conversations, friendship and business dynamic. Otherwise, how boring?
While so much of our work is a genuine collaboration and that’s all good and fun, we still think our unique selves is what makes THE PARTYSMITH special. That being said, we’re bringing you PARTYSMITH POV, our individual take on any given topic with a lean toward events. First up? Best dressed at the MET gala because you all know, being dressed to impress at any event is king!
I simply love a fashion redemption story! After leaving me wanting MORE after this year’s Oscars, Anne Hathaway delivered the goods this Monday evening with vintage Valentino and a freshly cropped bleach blonde do! From the ultra sheer fabric to the sexy side-boob I am totally in LOVE with this look.
Nicole Richie in custom Topshop rocked a head to toe look that speaks to my FIT design student self - Sleek, fitted from the neckline to the hemline, intricate floral patterns on repeat, a touch of sparkle and a touch of sheer on the sleeves. All of that in addition to what I consider a very Tim Burton (who’s my all time favorite director, producer, writer & sometimes artist) aesthetic. Needless to say, “all white everything” wins again.
Do you share either of our POV’s or have one of your own? Share!
As the beginnings of spring on the East Coast tend to go with April showers blooming May’s flowers, we’ve delighted in a healthy dose of rain. In between clear days of warm sparking sun, the “necessary evil” of cloud filled days have lent itself to the beauty and tranquility amidst a very busy city, that only the sights & sounds of dashing raindrops can bring.
Beautifully captured moment of rain fall…
PANTONE PARTY PIECES: CLEARWATER
5) Tall, single cut stems not to disappoint placed in Clearwater inspired glass bottles that can double as vases. Explore different shapes and heights to create depth // Threshold Blue Glass Container, Blue Decorative Glass Bottle (genie design), & Blue Decorative Glass Bottle (cone shape)
6) Toss and serve up salad greens in an understated blue ombre glass bowl // Kosta Boda Mine Bowl, Large
7) Nothing says spring time like tinted Mason Jars! //Heritage Collection Pint Jars
8) Bring on serving piece style with character // Nigella Lawson Utensils
9) A PARTYSMITH party would not be complete without a floral selection. Use your tinted Mason Jars to display an array of fresh cut daisies.Because I have an obsession with mason jars / daisies daisies daisies
Last, but not least, you have to look the party as the hostess …
PANTONE PARTY DRESS: CLEARWATER
We hope you are looking forward to May Flowers as much as we are at The PARTYSMITH!
Admission, Mad Men is still fresh on the brain (hardly shocking, we know …) and with the feeling of spring undoubtedly still fresh in the air, we feel obliged to usher in the season the classy way - a crisp cocktail How To featuring the Vodka Gimlet.
Booze makes any event go round, so take notes below and bottoms up!
+Vintage Crystal Serving Glasses
+Silver Ice Bucket with Ice for Mixing
+Cocktail Shaker with Measuring Cap
+Fresh Limes [2 Limes for Lime Juice .75 oz & 2 Limes for Garnish]
+Crystal Head Vodka [1.5 oz]
We wouldn’t be THE PARTYSMITH if there wasn’t a twist. Freeze your lime slices in an ice-cube tray to liven those suckers up. Tip: Use bottled water for perfectly, crystal clear cubes.
Now for even more fun …
1) Fill your vintage crystal with your frozen lime sliced cubes. Then, place your glass back into the freezer. This keeps ice cubes fresh AND chills the crystal. Now, fill your Cocktail Shaker 1/2 way with regular ice.
2) Roll your limes; It’s a simple trick from Rachel Ray, but makes squeezing lime juice a breeze! Cut your limes in half and squeeze two of them into your Martini Shaker [.75 oz of lime juice needed]
3) Pour 1.5 oz of Crystal Head Vodka into your Martini Shaker.
4) PARTYSMITH fave part // Throw on your favorite dance track and get to shaking while mixing up the vodka and fresh lime juice with those PARTYSMITHed ice cold ice cubes!
5) Pour and strain your mixed Vodka Gimlet into chilled crystal glasses. Oh and one more thing before you’re truly finished …
6) Adorn some Betty Draper inspired rouge lips and sip your chilly, classy, and PARTYSMITHed classic cocktail.
Be sure to keep up with us here as we bring back the art of shaking up 5pm cocktails for your reading and drinking pleasure. Any cocktails you’d love to see PARTYSMITHed next? Drop us a comment, don’t be shy!
Coming down from our Macy’s Painted Garden Flower Show high, we were suddenly struck by this stunning Pinterest Find! Prickly, neon and miniature succulents - EVERYTHING! What better way to bring greenery into your personal space than with an easy-to-care for and completely customizable Indoor Cactus Garden!
We began by sourcing the perfect family of cacti and succulents.
1) Visit your local Home Depot for a wide assortment of indoor greens! You will want to procure 6 to 8 varieties of cacti and succulents. You can find these babies in the Indoor Plant area.
2) You will need a wide bowl for potting, cactus soil and polished stones to complete the look.
3) Begin by filling your bowl 1/2 way with the cactus soil. Do not over fill the bowl as you will be adding your pre-potted succulents into the mix.
4) Form a hole in the soil in the center of your bowl and GENTLY select one of your cactus purchases. Grab the cactus by its roots and place it inside the pre-made hole. Repeat this process starting from the center and working toward the edges with the rest of your neon miniatures.
5) Arrange the miniatures around the bowl by varying the heights and colors of each piece.
6) Cover the spaces in between your greens with polished stones.
7) Find the perfect home for your new Indoor Cactus Garden!
+Stock up on bandaids (those suckers are prickly, remember?)
+Select succulents that require similar sunlight and water needs
+Loosely arrange the bowl while still at the store. This will help you determine exactly how many miniatures you will need to purchase
+Don’t forget a watering can - Even if you only need to water once a week
Go ahead, start designing your Indoor Cactus Garden now and send us an image of your masterpiece by dropping us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the midst of the ever-so bustling Herald Square, Macy’s assembled a virtual wonderland to delight the senses of all of its patrons. Evoking the jewel tone colors and rich culture of India, Macy’s annual pop-up tent was filled with fresh blooms and greenery that left The P A R T Y S M I T H in awe.
After waiting on what was quite possibly, and perhaps the most well-managed line in all of New York City, The P A R T Y S M I T H finally entered the fragrant flower installation sprawling across Broadway Plaza.
After weaving through petals, we were greeted with burlap spice sacks that encompassed the color palette through the last two rooms. Soothing sounds of a garden fountain were the ultimate soundtrack as we made our way into the last phase of the show.
In the center of the final room, perched over the crowd, was an absolutely gorgeous and bejeweled hanging light fixture (always look around you, including up for delightful details!) The light beaming through the glass made incredible patterns of lights against the lush hanging fabrics.
To be transported to an outdoor market with dangling fruits and home-made wares was truly a spectacular conclusion to the show.
The entire experience left us motivated to bring spring indoors; Stay tuned for our upcoming post on custom indoor gardens for your personal retreat!
All images by THE PARTYSMITH
Who better to make classic partying look ever-so chic than the cast of Mad Men? Capturing the fashion, style, and the entertaining glitz of the 1960’s, The P A R T Y S M I T H thinks these, Party Pics are SO MAJ!
Take notes on:
*The perfectly tailored formal apparel
*The pristine crystal for classic cocktails
*The utter sexiness of a man in a hand-tied bow tie.
*The dripping and sparkling bling
*The perfectly pinned up-dos.
*The side-part to end all side-parts
*The luxe manicures
*Lastly, do not neglect the setting - grand staircases, small floral bouquets, crystal lighting and satin drapes!
Setting the mood for a season that hasn’t quite graced us in New York City is a little tricky. But, in hoping to usher in one of our favorite times during the year (hopefully sooner than later), we couldn’t help but scroll through our Instagram images of spring’s past and daydream in the mean time …
How well landscaped is Georgetown, D.C?
Stunning florals by Giambattista Valli
Suburban dogwoods in full bloom
Check out The PARTYSMITH on Instagram for more where this came from!
It’s the third day of a new month (April) in a new season (supposedly spring …) and as we eagerly await warm temperatures and the buzz of New Yorkers coming out from winter’s hibernation hangover, we are hell bent on one thing - spring cleaning any and everything that rings negative nelly. There’s too much life to live and too many smiles to flash, so when it goes to negativity …
Image via Sara Eshak
I have a confession. I, Jennifer Mingucci, a die-hard Yankees Fan, a New York transplant living in Red Sox territory in 2004 hosted a party. The party was entirely Red Sox themed. I know, I know it is so shameful but it was in honor of one of my most favorite dear friends of all time. There was a timeline of Red Sox History correlating to his life line compete with photos! Everyone and I mean everyone adorned Red Sox apparel. (Yes, including myself with some tragic red ribbons in my hair.)
In an effort to redeem myself, I have been utterly inspired by the crisp NY Yankee pin stripes, bright green grass of the ball field and the classic red stitching of the baseball. Forget Spring Training - It is finally Opening Day at Yankees Stadium!
Actual baseball invitations? YES!
One can never have enough Yankee-colored balloons!
Bring the crisp lawn right to the table!
Don’t forget The Big Chew Bubble Gum!
“Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks!” Best part - The Cracker Jacks’ Toys!
Don’t forget to dress the part!
And I just found my NEW turquoise Yankees Cap!
Play ball! Frolic outside and bring the Yankees Party inside!